Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

need help with table width

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I made a page with a table width 790 because I don’t like horizontal scrolling on a monitor width 800×600 resolution.

Nevertheless I need to scroll.

Whats wrong?
    table width=790 tr td something /td td image /td /tr /table

Please imagine the brackets. :)

Please help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, it will all depend on how wide the image is that you have – you could try giving each cell in the table its own attribute (width).. it will also depend if you want the table to have a border which needs to be taken into account.
    try this…

replace “(” with this “<" ;)

(table width=”790″ border=”0″>
    (tr>
    (td width=”390″>whatever you want (/td>
    (td width=”390″> (img src=”image.gif” width=”390″ height=”50″> (/td>
    (/tr>
    (/table>

if it is total bollocks.. let me know and maybe one of the html buffs could show us how…

Anonymous
    Inactive

The scrollbar on the right side of the screen is 16 or 18 pixels wide, so the actual maximum width you should use is 782.

800 – 18 = 782

I recommend using a width of 750. The number 750 is easy to work with, and it gives you some “wiggle room” around the edges. Many fixed-width sites (including mine) use a width of 750.

Anonymous
    Inactive

width 750 is working. No scrollbar.

Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also many sites are built with a flexible column somewhere in the webpage. This allows users at a higher resolution to get more info on their page…afterall that is what they want. It also allows the few that run smaller resolutions (why I don’t know) to see the page without a scroll bar.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would consider ditching tables altogether and use CSS for absolute positioning on your pages. It is far more precise and apparently the search engines prefer it that way.

Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Andre wrote:
    I would consider ditching tables altogether and use CSS for absolute positioning on your pages. It is far more precise and apparently the search engines prefer it that way.

Just my 2 cents.

That’s a good 2 cents Andre …

But although I’ve read this several times I’ve never made the jump because it seems too much of a hassle to change everything around. HTML Table structures are obvious – CSS doesn’t seem to be.

Do you have a few good reference sites that might help us newbies make the changes ?

Oh … and search engines don’t give a toss about the cleanliness or quality of the code … HTML ranks just as well as CSS despite what the zealots might think.
    :hehe:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Originally Posted by TheGooner
    But although I’ve read this several times I’ve never made the jump because it seems too much of a hassle to change everything around. HTML Table structures are obvious – CSS doesn’t seem to be.

You are right, it is quite a change, since with CSS layouts the flow of text in your html file is not necesarily how it will appear in your browser. At least with tables you have a pretty good idea in your head how things will look as you add rows and columns.
    With css you create “blocks” inside div tags and your style sheet dictates where in the browser that block must be displayed.

Oh … and search engines don’t give a toss about the cleanliness or quality of the code … HTML ranks just as well as CSS despite what the zealots might think.

I hear you. I’m no seo expert so i trully don’t know for sure. This is the theory though: Using CSS you can place all your important blocks of text near the top of the html page, since the style sheet will make sure it renders correctly anyway. The assumption is that bots/crawlers/spiders may only index the first section of your page. Like I said, i don’t personally have a clue so I have to trust what others have experienced.

Do you have a few good reference sites that might help us newbies make the changes ?

I used the following sites to get started(remove the x)
    httpx://glish.com/css/
    httpx://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/

Also, WordPress templates are a good example of CSS layouts as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Guys,

I found this site really helped me when I started using CSS…

even if you are going to keep using tables CSS can dramatically speed up the process of making new pages by allowing you to apply classes to your content.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_examples.asp

Hope this helps. :woo-hoo:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)