Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

"members only" pages – seo effect

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JayLakin

Hi,

We will soon be adding a load of poker strategy articles to our site. Most of these were written or contributed to by an professional poker player and teacher.

What is the impact if I make these pages available only to members? Will that have an effect on google etc?

Is it a reasonable thing to do?

Any thoughts/comments most welcomed.

Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Google lets you specify a username and password so it can crawl your protected pages. But, since I doubt you want to have them indexed in google for everyone to see, just don’t allow it to crawl that directory.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@VIP Card Club 156074 wrote:

What is the impact if I make these pages available only to members? Will that have an effect on google etc?

If Google can’t see the content – then they won’t index it – and the content will not be useful for SERP purposes.

@VIP Card Club 156074 wrote:

Is it a reasonable thing to do?

IF you want to have a premium membership that you’re gonig to make money off – then it may make financial sense.

If your site is already well known with exisiting content – and you are getting plenty of new members with your existing content then you can do this.

However, if you’re a growing site that does not yet have a good throughput of visitor from non-google links then I’d think hard about whether I might want to release some of this BEST content into free-for-all pages.

As with all strategies – you makes you choices and see what happens.

Good luck.
    :hattip:

JayLakin

Thanks for the responses.

It’s a tough decision, but I think I’m going to try this idea.

Each specific strategy article has effectively two versions. One, fairly basic overview of key points – available to all. Two, detailed insight – available to members only.

Now this is either the best of both worlds, or falling between two stools.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

triplecrown

That sounds like a good compromise. The watered down version of your content will give them a “taste” of what premium membership is like.

On the other hand, I’d consider making the content available to all. Unless your charging for access I really don’t see why you would want to make a special access to premium members.

Think about it.

JayLakin

Thanks Wager – I’m still a bit torn on the issue, there’s an argument for both sides.

We’ve actually just agreed a deal with a pro poker player/teacher and we’re going to be hosting real life poker training courses from May onwards. That will obviously be for members only, so I think we can probably afford to allow the content to be available for all.

As you suggest I will think about – some more!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve actually seen many french sportsbetting websites force you to get a “premium” but free membership to have access to sports picks. That way people can’t just come to your website and take your picks without the intention of ever earning you money.

By making people sign up, the webmaster at least has a database of emails.

JayLakin

Thanks JackTen.

That’s one of the (primary) reasons we want to keep the info protected – to encourage people to sign up and capture the data.

The flip-side, of course, is we want to make the site as visible as possible and offer visitors some useful content, even non-members.

*sigh*, decisions, decisions!

Anonymous
    Inactive

My guess it just make it clear and obvious that you can register on the website and it gives you special stuff, registration is free and quick.

Personally 99% of the times when I don’t register somewhere it’s out of laziness so unless the rewards are there, I’m not going to bother. I think most people are that way so make the rewards obvious. You get to weed out the people that aren’t really that interested, too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@JackTen 157385 wrote:

Personally 99% of the times when I don’t register somewhere it’s out of laziness so unless the rewards are there, I’m not going to bother.

I’m the same – especially if I HAVE to provide and email address,

If I do bother then often I’ll use a one-day email address because I always assume that it will be spammed, sold and generally mistreated.
    :tongue:

gbp

VIP, I’m really glad you posted this. I ran into a situation the other day that did not make sense to me.

I was searching on a subject and one of the results looked very promising. When I clicked the result, it directed me to a forum login page. You had to be a member to view the thread. I was confused to how Google could get in, but I couldn’t. This may be worth looking into, but FYI I didn’t sign up with their forum, I just moved along to somewhere without the hoops.:hattip:

JayLakin

Thanks for the continued responses everyone.

I think I’m going to start by making it all available to everyone. If we find we’re getting lots of views on those pages but not many registrations, we can always change it then.

Cheers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)