Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

Link exchange, PR, Google and the likes

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have some concerns about link exchanging that I would like to discuss here.

Almost all people is concerned with page rank. Almost all people only accept exchanging links with pages with at least a PR1, 2 or whatever.

From my latest backlinks check some concerns were raised to me.

One of the tools I used was msn search with the “site” and “link” commands. MSN is a good tool because it indexes sites very fast and I also think they go deeper on the sites than google. So, using this command, I should be able to find if a link to my site exists on other site, or put another way, if a link to my site on the other one is being indexed.

The command used was:

[b]site:www.partnersite.com link:www.mysite.com[/b] to check my links on the partner site and;
    [b]site:www.mysite.com link:www.partnersite.com[/b] to check partner site links on my site.[/CODE]

I’ve found that all my partner site links on my site are being indexed by msn. The same does not apply for my links on partner sites.

My site is PR 1 and has a PR 0 on all the links page. Although PR is not great, msn is capable of indexing every link I have to other partners.

By other side, I have links on other partner sites with higher PR on the links page that are not indexed by MSN. And I’m talking about pages with PR of 3 and more.

Well this is not good to me. How can a PR 4 or 5 links page that is not indexed help my site?

This may be a proof that if msn has a PR to rank sites, it is a very different number than google one.

Too much attention is put on PR. PR is not being updated as it was other days. Search engine market is changing too. MSN, Yahoo, and a few others are making their steps into improving their positions on this market.

I’m very skeptic on relying on a tool that no one knows what really is, and from a search engine that will lost market share in the near future and because of that will make major changes resulting in great volatility of a site position.

From now on I will put more relevance on other parameters when exchanging links and I will use a very different approach to all seo issues, that almost until now are GSEO(google search engine optimization) and not SEO.[CODE]site:www.partnersite.com link:www.mysite.com to check my links on the partner site and;
    site:www.mysite.com link:www.partnersite.com to check partner site links on my site.[/CODE]

I’ve found that all my partner site links on my site are being indexed by msn. The same does not apply for my links on partner sites.

My site is PR 1 and has a PR 0 on all the links page. Although PR is not great, msn is capable of indexing every link I have to other partners.

By other side, I have links on other partner sites with higher PR on the links page that are not indexed by MSN. And I’m talking about pages with PR of 3 and more.

Well this is not good to me. How can a PR 4 or 5 links page that is not indexed help my site?

This may be a proof that if msn has a PR to rank sites, it is a very different number than google one.

Too much attention is put on PR. PR is not being updated as it was other days. Search engine market is changing too. MSN, Yahoo, and a few others are making their steps into improving their positions on this market.

I’m very skeptic on relying on a tool that no one knows what really is, and from a search engine that will lost market share in the near future and because of that will make major changes resulting in great volatility of a site position.

From now on I will put more relevance on other parameters when exchanging links and I will use a very different approach to all seo issues, that almost until now are GSEO(google search engine optimization) and not SEO.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t exchange links, period. Whether a site links to mine is a poor criteria for whether I’m going to link to it. I link to sites which I think will be of value to my readers, whether they link back or not.

If a site is genuine quality then it will naturally attract links without having to ask for them. I think too many webmasters spend far too much time soliciting links rather than making their site worthy of being linked to in the first place.

Who cares whether a site returns your link to them? If the only reason you linked to another site was to get a return link, then you’ve done a disservice to your readers and shouldn’t have linked to that site in the first place. But if you really wanted to recommend the site you linked to, then it was worth linking to them whether they linked back or not.

My longer article on this topic is at http://WebsiteHelpers.com/why-you-didnt-get-link

People might disagree with my philosophy, but then again they’re usually the ones who covet the rankings I’ve already got. My philosophy has been working for me for ten years. (#1, for example, for “good google rankings”). And it not only works, but it works to keep the quality of the web high — rather than the other way around.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In a long run MichaelBluejay absolutely right but everything depends on the strategy you choose.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting topic. I have found it true that msn does a much better job at backlink digging, however if they are number three in the world of se’s then that is of little use to webmasters as most people use google or yahoo. That being said, I agree that people really do put too much emphasis on PR BUT it is what it is. Most webmasters do not want to link to something for nothing ( I have found this out through my own experience as well.) If you are new, I still think you have to build links ( as I’ve read over and over in the SEO forums, ) but in another breath they say content is king. Yes it is, but who will view all that nice content if no one can find you. :) My 2 cents for no cents (or sense lol)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)