Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

backlinks?

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,
    I am very new to the whole website building/affiliate thing… but I’m learning! I read that one of the important factors in moving your page towards the top in Google, is how many people are linking back to you. I’ve traded links with a few sites (7 or 10 maybe), and I’ve checked to be sure that I’m listed on their sites. But when I check through Google to see who’s linking to me, those links don’t show up. They’ve been on the people’s pages for a month or so. Does it take longer than this for google to “find” them? Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
    Heather

Anonymous
    Inactive

Google’s backlink checking functionality doesn’t work correctly, by design. (It’s an attempt by Google to thwart SEO’s). You can get a better idea of backlinks using Yahoo’s linkdomain: search or by doing a link: search on the new MSN beta.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good question, Heather — I have been wondering about the same thing.

Randy — I’ve checked the backlinks for other sites (using Google’s link: operator), and some sites actually do have quite a few backlinks. Do you know why some sites show many backlinks while others show only a few? Is this because the sites with many backlinks actually have tons and tons of links behind the scenes? (i.e., is Google displaying only a small percentage of the total number of backlinks for every site in its index?)

Also can you (or someone else) elaborate on how Google is thwarting SEOs by doing this? If someone can get the backlink information from Yahoo, what does Google gain by limiting their own list of backlinks? Why not just list the information? If not all of it, at least enough to match the competition’s list.

Thanks for the Yahoo and MSN tool suggestion. They do provide better results (for my site at least).

Anonymous
    Inactive

“If someone can get the backlink information from Yahoo, what does Google gain by limiting their own list of backlinks?”

Either to get people wasting time talking about this stuff, or they are unable to display backlinks correctly (technical problem).

Either way, Google’s displayed backlinks mean next to nothing so just ignore them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)